Monday, September 19, 2016

9/19/16 Continuation of Treatment - Herceptin & Arimidex - where we go from here.....

Everyone keeps saying "you're done, now you can move on".  I chuckle and think to myself.....if only it was that simple.  Sadly, me being "Done", couldn't be further from the truth!   I'm NOT done, far from it actually. 

Although, I've completed the "major" parts of my treatment, I still have to go for Herceptin treatment thru the chest port (oh that damn chest port) every 3 weeks until what looks like March of 2017 and I'll be on a drug called Arimidex for the next 10 years of my life, not to mention a few more surgeries on the horizon within the next year, I'd say I still have a long way to go, but as always, hopeful and full of gratitude!! 

Herceptin is nothing new for me as I had begun with that from the very start with the beginning chemo back in January 2016.  Because I am HER2+, it is a targeted treatment that helps reduce estrogen production which causes certain breast cancers. 

Arimidex is an Aromatase Inhibitor which also reduces estrogen production.  People that are Post Menopausal tend to go on this drug.  I am beginning this today 9/19/16 and will be on it, assuming I can tolerate it, for the next 10 years of my life.  The lovely side effects that go along with Arimidex are - hot flashes, joint & muscles pain, bone loss, hair thinning among many others - sounds fun right?  If my joint pain gets any worse, I worry that I might not be able to walk, it's that bad!  Time will tell and I'm hopeful that I can tolerate the drug and not have any major side effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment